15 Ideas for your Business Blog
Having a blog on your website is often an essential part of your
online marketing strategy. The problem is that many businesses
don't know how to use them properly. An effective business
blog will engage your current customers, drive new customers to
your site and attract social shares and inbound links.
If your last blog post was on the 24th of August 2009 then this
series is for you. Over the next few weeks I will be writing a
series of posts that will help turn your blog section from an empty
wasteland into a resource flourishing with visitor engagement. So
let's get started!
One of the most difficult aspects of running a blog is coming up
with ideas on a regular basis, just posting the odd piece of news
is not going to cut it. Today we are going to go through 15 ideas
for your business blog.
- Write a series- Just as I am doing with this blog series, if
you have a lot of information you want to share with your customers
on one subject then write a series about it. This is great way to
turn casual readers into subscribers.
- Posts a customer success story -If you receive a fantastic
testimonial from a customer then ask for permission to turn it into
a blog post. Explain what you did for that customer to receive that
- Comparison- Show off your expertise by comparing related
products or services.
- Staff profiles & interviews- People love to know who they
are dealing with, give a human element to your online presence by
interviewing current or new staff. Try and add some extra
personality by asking a few comical questions.
- Write about something controversial -There is no better way
spark conversation than to write about something
- Make a link resource -If you have read several interesting
articles on a topic then put them together into a single post of
the best ideas.
- Show your charity work- If you give back to the community then
post a write up or a video of the work you have done.
- Provide free guides and resources- People love free
information, especially if it is something that is not readily
available. Be prepared to give a little away for free to help show
your expertise and draw readers in.
- Contests -Offer a prize for the most interesting customer
- Guest posts -Allow industry experts, local celebrities or even
customers to write a post for your site. This is a great way of
getting different opinions expressed on your site.
- How to posts -How to posts are great, explain how to use your
product or service. For example an estate agent could write
about "How to prepare your home for sale", insurance broker could
write about "How to get a better deal on your car insurance ". You
get the idea.
- Take a poll - You can easily do this using a service such
- Keyword posts -Have a look at your Google Analytics to see
which keywords are bringing traffic to your site but don't have a
dedicated landing page. Then write posts on these topics.
- Comment on news -How are current events affecting your
customers? Stay up to date with news related to your business and
look out for items to discuss.
- Look at your competitors -There is nothing wrong with looking
at your competitors for inspiration. Pick the best ideas from their
blogs and then produce better versions. These don't even have to be
your direct competitors, look at what companies are doing in other
locations and countries.
That should be enough to keep your blog filled with quality
posts for the next few months. Next week we are going to go through
how to make and use an editorial calendar for your blog, this will
help you organize your team and ensure content is regularly posted.
We may even throw in a free template for you to use.
Posted By Ben Inder
Filed under Online Marketing
About the author
Ben has a proven track record of improving the online
visibility of businesses locally and nationally.
Often found with his head buried in analytical data, Ben is a
Google Adwords and Google Analytics qualified Individual.